2017 was a year filled with lots of decisions, travels, and discoveries. Most of the year I lived out of a suitcase. I was fortunate to spend almost three months traveling throughout Europe and living in Bali. Thayer and I had plans to explore New Zealand too, but unfortunately, we were in a bad motor scooter accident during our last week in Bali. We had to return to the U.S. because Thayer's foot was injured pretty badly but after a few months of recovery it was good as new! Luckily the accident wasn't worse! We spent late spring and early summer in Montana before exploring parts of British Columbia, Alberta, and visiting friends in the Pacific Northwest. Currently, I'm sampling life on the west coast in San Diego. I enjoy the palm trees, sounds of the ocean, and warm weather but have been surprised by how much I miss the change of seasons!
I'm grateful for the amount of personal growth, support, and love, I've had during 2017 and am ready for 2018!
Here are the top 17 lessons I learned during 2017.
Some are a little bit more personal that maybe others will relate to as well, while others can be considered life hacks-- like avoiding wild dogs fighting on the street in Bali...;) These are lessons I've found of value during 2017. I want to turn these lessons into goals for myself during 2018. Let me know what you like the best! I'd love to hear any lessons you may have to share!
(Photos in this post are some of my favorite's from 2017!)
1. Keep Agreements to Yourself.
2. Always Focus on Internal Validation over external validation.
3. Think about the unintended consequences of actions.
4. Choose experience over comfort.
5. Nothing happens overnight. EVER.
6. Always wear your shoes when riding a motor scooter in a foreign country or dealing with fighting dogs in the streets of Bali. (**See intro paragraph for context.)
7. Politics is too exhausting- read, educate yourself, and avoid complacency.
8. Play to YOUR strengths, not someone's else's.
9. In the words of Drake, "know yourself, know your worth."
10. Creativity comes and goes, find things that inspire and feed that creative drive.
11. Spend time asking yourself WHY.
12. Having a sense of community is so important.
13. Be careful what you wish for.
14. Peanut butter jelly sandwiches qualify as a legit meal at any age ;)
15. Be grateful for the little things.
16. It's okay to change your mind.
17. Stay you. <3
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2018!